The IPv6 address is a special address for identifying your computer in a network. For a long time, only the IPv4 address was used for this purpose. However, this is gradually being replaced by the newer address and will soon no longer be a standard.
How to activate the address on your computer
In order for your computer to also use the new protocol via IPv6, it must first be activated in the system settings.
- Press the [Windows] key and enter “Control Panel” in the search field. There you now click on the item “Network and Sharing Center”, which you will find in the category “Network and Internet”.
- You will now see a graphic about the status of the current connection. By clicking on “Connections” you get to all registered networks, from which you now select your current.
- Select “Properties” and scroll in the displayed list until you get to the point “Internet Protocol, Version 6”. In parentheses behind it, IPv6 is also specified once again.
- By selecting the checkbox and clicking “OK”, you complete the setup.
How to activate the address on the Mac
- On the Mac, you must first open the terminal.
- Now enter the command “networksetup -setv6automatic Wi-Fi” and confirm with [Enter].
- Already by this simple command you activate the use of IPv6 for your Wi-Fi connection.