Testing Wi-Fi: How to check your connection
There are a few things to consider when setting up a Wi-Fi connection. Basically, a Wi-Fi connection allows less speed than a direct LAN connection. Nevertheless, it is advisable to check whether the connection is maintained undisturbed.
Testing Wi-Fi: How to measure the signal strength
How good the Wi-Fi connection is depends, among other things, on the signal strength. The further away you are from the router, the worse the connection.
- First, download the free software Wi-Fi Analyzer and install it on your laptop.
- With the help of this app, you can now check the signal strength in the individual rooms in your house or apartment and thus draw conclusions about what can interfere with a signal.
- Generally, solid stone walls as well as height differences and large distances are the reason that a signal is no longer sufficient.
- Once you find a room that receives only a very weak signal, you can equip it with a repeater to strengthen the signal again.
Testing Wi-Fi: How to improve the connection
- A Wi-Fi network can transmit on different channels that have different signal strengths.
- Try using your Wi-Fi adapter to switch to a channel that has a better connection.
- Connect a repeater and connect it to your router.
- It may also help to open doors between you and the router to strengthen the signal.